Growth accelerator for startups & scaleups
This page focuses specifically on the pitch for an investor: the investor speech. This speech follows a fixed pattern and is listed below. You need various components for the speech. You collect these using the Investor Pitch Canvas (IPC)
I’m <name> and am the owner of <company> that I founded in <year>
I started this company, because <drive> (make it personal)
I make/sell <product>. This product does <functionality>
<product> gives <solution> for customers with <problem>
So far <x> customers bought this product and sales are growing by <x%> per year.
I target for <market> which has a size of <#potential customers>
Customers bought this product (and not a competitor product), because <unique selling point>
The profit of the company is <x%>
I require an investment of <x> euro to <activity>. Also I need <expertise/network> from you to let <company> grow. In return you get a share of <x%> in <company>. This share will give a yearly return of <x%>
Do you want to make an investment of <x> euro and get a share of <x%> in return?
In the Dutch TV program Dragons' Den, startups can pitch to five investors. After the pitch the investors decide whether they want to make an investment.
The pitches are available on Youtube:
Empatize with the investor:
- What drives the investor?
- Will the investor buy/use the product himself?
- How does the investor judge the market and the earning capacity of your company?
- Does the investor have a background in the market of the product?
- Will the share be profitable and what will be the uture value?
These points determine to a high extent whether the investor will make an investment in your company.
-Be yourself and use your own language -
- Put on clothes that you are used to wear
- Memorize the first minute of the speech. This allows you to handle any nerves well.
- Memorize the contents of your Investor Speech Canvas. You need that when answering if necessary questions.
- Practice, practice, practice and ask for feedback. Feedback makes the speech better.
- Simulate the real life situation
- The listeners have taken the time to listen to you. Don't rush and emphasize what's important.
- Take plenty of time for preparation.
- Rest well before the speech and get a good night's sleep.
- Trust yourself. You showed you came this far already.